Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What makes a friend

I know we all have times in our lives when we 'grow' and 'change' and frankly life just happens. You would think that since I live in the same town that I grew up in I would have the same 'core' friends that I had growing up.... not even close.

That does not mean that I am not friends with the people now that I was friends with as a kid, because I am... our friendships have just changed. ALOT.

Middle school and high school was the first time in my entire academic 'career' that I was ever at the same school for more than 1 1/2 years. I formed some fierce friendships in middle school. I thought for sure that these 4 girls and myself were going to be best friends for life.. one of the specifically. But then life happened. Situations changed and our friendships all began to become strained and different. Honestly, my senior year of high school I mearly 'existed', I went to school, went to work, and that was it. Looking back I never went to a school dance, and I think I only went to a homecoming game once and that was strictly because it was either go to that or stay home.

After high school I moved away from my home town. I needed the change. I needed to find myself and be who I knew I was inside. And I found that. I moved about 500 miles from home and I loved it. I couldn't have been happier. I found a best friend who REALLY understood me, I found my now husband-- someone who loves me up/down and even crazy. I found a job/career that I loved and loved me back. I even enjoyed being a part of my husband's family. But then again, life happened.

Chad and I moved back to my home town. We kept trying for a baby. I tried to re-establish those old middle/high school friendships, but there were too many differences to get that back. I had been gone for almost 3 years... too much had changed in my life. I wasn't into the same things they were... I was married, trying to have a family and they were still very much into the 'scene' (we were 22... they were doing what they should have been). It only got 'worse' after Delainey was born.

In 2004 when we started TTC again, I found a website. It was an internet community that was based on TTC, infertility, pregnancy etc. I met an amazing core of ladies. Honestly...these ladies are amazing friends. They were there for me when even family didn't know what to say. They 'held' my hand as I cried over month after month of disappointment/heartache. They were the ones who celebrated with me when we learned we were pregnant in 2005, they were the ones who frankly were more excited then I was when we learned we were expecting twins. They were there through it all with me. They are true and amazing friends. My life is better simply for knowing them... and I have never actually met them.

When I was about 5 months pregnant with Shelby and Avery I joined a local MOMS Club. I met several amazing women through this club. Friendships have come and friendships have gone in MOMS Club, but again this was a time in my life where I met an amazing group of ladies that I know are there for me regardless of the bumps my life hits in the road, or the mistakes that I make. I met friends who realize I am not perfect, that I am messy, unorganized and sometimes just plain crazy... but they love me anyways.

What makes a good friend in your mind? Lets share and discuss :)

2 comments:

Laura P said...

This is something that I've been thinking about A LOT lately and I haven't really come to a conclusion yet.

Ultimately though I want someone who will be there in good and bad and who I can be there for as well. Of course being able to be 100% real with is always a perk too. It's never fun to think that I cannot say something for fear that they will not understand or will judge.

Angela :-) said...

Yes, friendships. Something that's consumed alot of my brain power over the last couple months. I guess my general answer would be someone who I feel a connection to/with. Some of my musings have me contemplating the different 'categories' or 'groups' of friends I have. Local friends. Online friends. Adoptive parent friends. Trauma mama friends. Homeschool friends. Hometown friends. And, I totally agree with the previous commenter about being able to be real.


Angela :-)