I am frustrated with society. Roughly a week ago a sports celebrity used the "R" word. There was no real backlash, other than a few status updates on Facebook. There was no formal apology, there was nothing. The other day another celebrity made negative remarks in regards to sexual orientation and he has been blasted up one wall and down the other (AS HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN)... he has since apologized and has offered to help with legislation etc.
Why is society not up in arms because of the use of the "R" word... if this sports figure had used a racial slur, a slur against sexual orientation or had an affair he would have been blasted ineo the media. He would have been made accountable for his poor choices and would have been made to apologize.... but since he "JUST" used the "R" word that makes it ok?
Really people??? Where are our moral compasses??? THIS is just WRONG plain and simple...
It is not because I am the mom of special needs kids that I find the "R" word offensive... I find it offensive simply because IT IS!!! Get with it people!!!
http://www.r-word.org/Default.aspx
1 comment:
I completely agree.
Sadly, I think a big part of why they don't "get" it is that they don't know disabled people, so they don't know what it means to have someone they love ridiculed, esp when that someone can't defend themself.
It's just beyond horrible and unacceptable.
Post a Comment